[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE recieved when connecting to omni server

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 27 12:25:40 BST 2006

On Wednesday 26 July, Shibu Mathai wrote:

> We are unable to connect to the omni server running on App Machine from DB
> Machine the . We tested using nameclt and the output is shown below it's
> gives a COMM_FAILURE. Could anyone please help.

In future, it is a good idea for you to mention the omniORB version you
are using. You are clearly using 3.0 or something even older.

What's going wrong is that although you are contacting the correct
server to talk to its bootstrap agent, the server is replying with an
object reference that says the IP address to use is 127.0.0.1. When the
client tries to use that, it tries to connect to itself, and of course
fails.

The server is misconfigured, probably because it has an /etc/hosts file
that maps the server's name to 127.0.0.1. You need to fix it to have the
correct address, or to upgrade to omniORB 4.0 which uses a different
mechanism to determine its IP address.