[omniORB] NameService problem (from Java)

Clarke Brunt clarke.brunt at trafficmaster.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 14:52:15 GMT 2006

> When I start the nameservice:
> omninames -start
>
> and try to access it from a Java client I get a connection
> failure...
>
> What can I do about it? Does anybody know?

It's a while since I messed with Java programs connecting to OmniORB, but is
this the problem which is solved by setting OmniORB's configuration
parameter when starting the Naming Service:

supportBootstrapAgent

documented as "default = 0 If set true, servers support the Sun bootstrap
agent protocol.".

It was on by default in some earlier versions of OmniORB.

I also seem to remember having to set OmniORB's maxGIOPVersion to something
less than the default to support earlier versions of the Sun Java ORB. [Just
noticed that this parameter is spelled incorrectly in omniORB 4.0.5
documentation omniORB004.html, which has "...Verson"]

--
Clarke Brunt, Principal Software Engineer, Trafficmaster