[omniORB] HTTP Tunneling

ondrej at frcatel.fri.utc.sk ondrej at frcatel.fri.utc.sk
Mon Feb 20 16:24:43 GMT 2006

> Hi,
>

> I am developing an application (client/server) which has its server
> written in java and supports both IIOP and SOAP channel s for
> communication. I have introduced soap channel to overcome the problem
> faced by IIOP when the clients are on the other side of firewall. My
> requirement is to develop a client which can possibly switch between
> channels (IIOP/SOAP) dynamically.
>
> Another alternative is to provide HTTP tunneling but "omni ORB"
> currently does not support HTTP tunneling
>
> My approach to tackle the solution is to develop a library which can
> possibly tunnel iiop into HTTP. Does any one have worked in this area if
> yes then please guide.

We've been working on developing a CORBA adapter to MQ. The point is that
there is a server which has DSI interface (thus serving all the
interfaces) and dynamically loadable plugins. Each interface is handled by
its own plugin. We make MQ request and reply in the request handler. The
only difference for you would be to write a plugin which makes HTTP
request and response.

The advantage of this approach is, that you don't have to modify ORB core
and thus the solution is portable also to different ORBs.

If you are interested in details, just let me know.

Meybe Duncan could guide use "How to add a transport to omniORB". :-)

DDX