[omniORB] Config Option to Link omniORB Executables with omniCodeSets Library?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Dec 11 18:39:55 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 6 December, Pat Pascal wrote:

> The reason for the codesets library linking is that one of our
> customers is requesting it.  The name service names we use may contain
> characters from a non-default codeset, so they want to ensure
> omniNames and nameclt handle these characters as well.  We've already
> linked our servers and clients with the codesets library, but we are
> using the default build for omniORB (which doesn't link against the
> codeset library).

You shouldn't need to link omniNames with the codesets library -- just
run it using UTF-8 as its native code set using -ORBnativeCharCodeSet
UTF-8 . Generally everything can be converted to UTF-8 so that should be
sufficient.

> In order to get omniNames and nameclt to handle the non-default
> codesets, is linking these executables against the codeset library the
> only thing necessary, or is something else required?

If you do need to use something other than UTF-8, you should use the
same kind of nativeCharCodeSet setting to choose the one you want.