[omniORB] Help needed to interpret COMM_FAILURE

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli at tecnotp.it
Fri Nov 25 22:05:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,
    this sound interesting. We too had an apparently random problem,
appearing as a COMM_FAILURE_MarshalArguments instead.
This occurs while the involved client manages to send very large
messages (e.g. several hundred megabytes) to the server, co-located on
the same Win host.
We initialize maxMsgSize to be 1 gigabyte, but we have never seen
MARSHAL_MessageSizeExceedLimitOnClient as a minor, as one would expect
in case of overflow failures.
But from Duncan's answer, it seems that connection might be dropped
after overcoming max. message size, thus resulting in a shadowing comm.
failure. After looking at sources, I saw that this comm. failure can
only come along the chain notifyCommFailure<errorOnSend<Send, then
transport stuff.
What is granted for sure, if we reduce message size a bit then this
problem disappears.
Any comment is highly appreciated.
Thanks,

Renzo Tomaselli