[omniORB] CORBA exceptions aren't std::exceptions

Slawomir Lisznianski slisznianski at asyncnet.com
Mon May 16 11:36:03 BST 2005

The C++ mapping of CORBA::Exception, as well as other types, is merly a
sample implementation. As long as the implementation adheres to the
interface defined in the standard, the implementation is compliant.

As to why, well, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask why would you NOT
want to derive from std::exception? ;-) It provides a consistent
exception handling interface in C++. Users are used to it as a last
resort, top-level exception type. I don't think there is much of a
recovery expected when getting it, but most frameworks do handle it at
least to log before aborting.

Just my thoughts,
Slawomir