[omniORB] NEWBIE: Object Not Found error reported by client

Andrew Luscomb andrew.luscomb at mainstream-tech.com
Fri May 13 12:58:24 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm having a problem that I suspect is caused by some small piece I'm
overlooking somewhere.

The server side code is written in C++ and running on a Windows 2000
Terminal Server (SP4) using omniORB 4.0.5.  The machine has one network
card, and is assigned an IP address of 172.16.3.4.  The client side code
is written in Java and running on a Windows 2000 Workstation (SP4).  The
client machine also has one network card and is assigned an IP address
of 10.1.1.140.  There is a router/firewall in between which handles the
NAT.  The ports between the two machines are set to allow all tcp
traffic from either direction.

When I first started up the server side code, it successfully showed the
IOR in the log.  Using catior on the IOR revealed that the IP address in
the IOR was 172.16.3.4.  The client machine cannot see that IP address
directly.  It can, however, see that machine by using 10.1.1.210.
Reading up on endPoints, I thought that if I could get the IOR to
contain the IP address as the client machine could see it, and the
server to respond to all requests, then I might be able to connect.  I
put in the registry entries for endpoints put in based on what I found
in the documentation.  The server side code starts up correctly, and
using catior, I can see that it has 10.1.1.210 port 3000 in it as I
would expect.  The client code, however reports
org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.

The following are the values in the omniORB section of the registry
currently (trying to follow syntax shown in sample.reg).  Can anybody
spot what I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\]
 "traceLevel" = "1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\clientTransportRule\]
 "0" = 10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0 unix,tcp
 "1" = 172.16.3.0/255.255.255.0 unix,tcp

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\endPointNoListen\]
 "0" = giop:tcp:10.1.1.210:3000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\endPointNoPublish\]
 "0" = giop:tcp:172.16.3.4:3000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\serverTransportRule\]