[omniORB] ORB Initialization Problems On Windows XP Box With No Network Connection

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Mar 29 18:36:55 BST 2005

On Tuesday 22 March, "Craig W. Wright" wrote:

> I actually could not find anything about the loopback device in the
> README.win32.txt file.

It's not in omniORB's readme. Stefan said it was in his product's
readme. Perhaps it should be in omniORB's one.

>   It also turns out that only installing the
> loopback device solves my problem. Now, I have another problem, a
> pointy-headed one.  He doesn't want to install a loopback device,
> because he thinks it will be too big a burden on our customers. Is
> there anything else that can be done in the case that we can not
> impose a Loopback Device on our users? Compile time switches? Source
> code hacks? Anything? Thanks for all the help so far.

omniORB needs a "network" connection to link processes together. If your
computer doesn't have any network devices at all, it can't possibly
work. On Windows, you have to have a TCP loopback. Unless you feel like
implementing some kind of Windows specific transport that doesn't use
TCP, of course... That's hardly an easy option compared to installing a
TCP loopback device.