[omniORB] What is needed to support IPv6?

Fox, Charles (Civ, ARL/CISD) cfox at arl.army.mil
Mon Mar 28 17:00:52 BST 2005

Hi all,
  I posted earlier about my interest in work on IPv6 and now I'm volunteering
some time to at least figure out what needs to be done to add it in.
  My primary interest is in being able to specify an IPv6 address in
a corbaloc: URI and of course to have the low-layer ability to encode/decode IOR's
with IPv6 according to standards and to have services that can listen on IPv6
network addresses.  Along with this will come extra work in the client/server
transport rule filters that are part of the ORB.
  From what I've seen, the src/lib/omniORB/orbcore and src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/tcp seem to have the main files of interest.
  From an initial look, it looks like we need a way of turning the IPv6 address
format into internal representations that work, and from some other ORB
implementations I've seen the preferred method seems to be to enclose the
address in [] so the ':' separators are not misinterpreted.
  If any of the core developers would like to give advice or are interested
in this project, feel free to post.  Otherwise I'll start plugging at this in
my free time and let you know what I can come up with.
             -- Chuck