[omniORB] ANNOUNCE: omniORB 4.1 testing

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Thu Mar 3 14:26:02 GMT 2005

>DG> On Tuesday 22 February, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>>> After installing omniORB-4.1 from the tarball, I tried omniORBpy. But the
>>> installation fails:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/bin/omniidl -p../../../omniidl_be \
>>> -I/usr/local/share/idl/omniORB/COS  -I/usr/local/share/idl/omniORB  -I/usr/local/idl/omniORB  -I/usr/local/idl/omniORB/COS  -I../../../idl  -I../../../idl/COS  -I/usr/local/share/idl/omniORB  -I/usr/local/share/idl/omniORB/COS -bpython /usr/local/share/idl/omniORB/COS/CosCollection.idl
>>> corbaidl.idl:15: Warning: Forward declared interface 'CORBA::IDLType' was never fully defined
>>> omniidl: 1 warning.
>>> boxes.idl:12: omniORBpy does not support valuetype

>DG> You have an install of omniORBpy 2 that omniidl is finding first. If you
>DG> have an install of omniORBpy in /usr/lib/python2.x/site-packages, it
>DG> will pick that up when you'd want to get the one in /usr/local.

Hi Duncan,

That could be the problem.

The problem is that I am using MacOSX, and there the proper place to
install python stuff is not /usr/local/lib/... as that is not in the
pythonpath. It sould be /Library/Python/2.3 or
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
which is a symbolic link to the previous. However, when I give this as
the prefix, the executables will also be installed in that vicinity,
and not in /usr/local/bin, which is in my PATH. I think I will have to
specify separate prefix and exec_prefix for omniORBpy. But I'm not
sure if installing omniORBpy in a different prefix from omniORB will
work.

I'll give it another try.
Thanks.
--