[omniORB] Performance comparison of OmniEvents and OmniNotifiy

Alex Tingle alex.omniorb at firetree.net
Tue Mar 1 09:02:40 GMT 2005

Hi Chris,

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:07:41 -0500
Christopher Petrilli <petrilli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at the two options for distributing a high volume of
> events in a system, and looking at both of these, and searching the
> web, I've seen people argue that both are faster than the other.  I
> realize OmniNotify has more capabilities (some of which would be nice
> to have), but performance is the #1 issue in this case.
>
> The events would be CORBA structs with about 35 fields in them.

(I am the author of omniEvents 2.4+)

Use omniNotify if you need the notification service. Use omniEvents if
your needs are simpler, or if you need the high availability feature.

I've done some limited comparison testing between the two. As I recall,
the latency is about the same for isolated individual events. As the
volume of events increases, omniEvents starts to pull ahead, but
omniNotify's performance is still good.

I think this is to be expected - omniEvents is optimised for high
volumes. It starts to batch-up events as the volume increases.

Older versions of omniEvents (2.3 and earlier) definitely suffer from
terrible performance at high volumes. The newer versions are more or
less a complete rewrite.

I've been planning to add a multicast transport to omniEvents (for
federated event channels), that should dramatically increase
performance. Contact me if you want to know more... I can drone on and
on about this if you like. ;-)

regards,

-Alex

--