[omniORB] porting omniORB to a message passing OS

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Jun 27 15:44:15 BST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June, Bojan Sernek wrote:

>             I'm interested in porting omniORB to an operating system that
> uses native message passing between local processes (instead of using
> sockets, for example) - this is what I'd want to use. If anyone would care,
> this is Enea's OSE operating system. Can omniORB be easily ported to such an
> architecture? I'm also interested in using custom allocation methods for
> some objects (like buffers) and custom default types (like for strings,
> sequences...) can omniORB cope with that easily?

omniORB's transport system assumes a stream based transport. It's quite
easy to add a new transport for anything that gives a stream
abstraction. It wouldn't be at all easy to convert it to use a raw
message passing system, so your best bet would be to build a stream
abstraction on top of the messages first, then create an omniORB
transport for that.

For custom allocators and types and things, what exactly do you have in
mind?