[omniORB] Same machine connection and VPN

Ken Ryall kendev at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 12:00:54 BST 2005

Hi,

We're using omniORB to allow our java application to interact with a C++
back-end on Windows XP. The C++ code is running in a process on the same
Machine as the java client. This works OK when the machine is on our
corporate network and on the public internet. Yet when using the CheckPoint
VPN client the connection from client (java) to server (C++) fails,
seemingly because it's trying to connect to a local ip address (ex.
10.0.1.4).

Interestingly, when using the Cisco VPN client the connection will
eventually work, but after significant delay.

Since we only intend for these two to operate on the same machine I started
looking into how to configure omniORB to work around this problem. I started
passing "-ORBendPoint giop:tcp:localhost:" or "-ORBendPoint
giop:tcp:127.0.0.1:" to both client and server. This allowed the initial
connection to work even when using the VPN. However, the callbacks from C++
to Java fail so I must be missing something else.

Does anyone have any advice on configuring omniORB to operate a same machine
connection with a VPN running?

Thanks,

Ken