[omniORB] omniORB4 select() by application

Andrew Miller ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 7 18:54:47 BST 2005

Hi,
I am investigating ways to extract the file descriptors from omniORB4 to take
control of the main loop in a MAIN_THREAD_MODEL thread policy situation(without
having to periodically poll work_pending() on the ORB object).

Obviously, if there is a way to do this, it wouldn't be compliant with the OMG
specs(i.e. would be specific to omniORB), and probably would need to be
implemented differently on various platforms.

I have looked at the source code and there doesn't seem to be any clean way of
doing this(although I am completely unfamiliar with the source code so I can't
be sure that no such way exists).

Has anyone else tried this before, and if so, did you get it working? Which
specific internal interfaces did you use? How do other people deal with
existing software which cannot be changed to give the ORB control of the main
loop but must still use MAIN_THREAD_MODEL?

Thank you for you time.
Best regards,
Andrew Miller