[omniORB] omniORBpy: destroy() call hangs after a fork

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Wed Jun 1 14:51:52 BST 2005

> I'm having some trouble using omniORB in python with code that forks.
> I'm sure it's some problem with the forked process getting a copy of the
> parents memory, but I'm not really sure what's going on here.  Here's an
> example (based on the echo example):

I create a explicit spawner process before initializing the orb. Then if I
want to have a forked process running it's own orb, I tell the spawner to
fork. In that process, I can initialize an orb.

For the communication between these processes, I use Pyro. A nice sideeffect
is that I can kill spawned processes reliably - contrary to threads.

Regards,

Diez