[omniORB] Advice needed.. (I'm a newbie)

agbernardino at up.edu.ph agbernardino at up.edu.ph
Thu Jan 27 12:57:47 GMT 2005

Greetings.. I'm a student from the Philippines. I'm new to corba and omniorb.
I'll be starting an undergrad project in the next few months.  My project is
LAN-Based teleoperation of a mobile robot.  I plan to have an wireless lan
omniorb communication between the robot and a server. I also plan to have a
Jacorb applet communicating with an omniorb server.  The camera-equipped robot
will be sending   still images, and some data to the applet through the server.
The applet should receive the images at a rate that would look like real time
video feed.  Also, other data would be passed between applet and the robot.  My
server would be an intel celeron 1.5ghz running Mandrake 10.1.  The robot runs
with a 500mhz pentium running Redhat 7.2.  All of the communication will only
take place on a LAN.  The robot will be communicating with the server via
wireless LAN.

My questions are :
1.  I'm starting by April. I have 5 months to do the project.  Can I understand
and program the CORBA apps in such time?  Are the CORBA apps that hard or easy
to engineer?
2.  Will I have to deal with threads to achieve fast communication? (I hope I
don't)
3.  Do I have to have 2 separate omniorb servers (robot-server and
server-applet), or can I have a 2-in-1 server?
4. Any other advice ? =)

Thank you very much,
Aaron Bernardino