[omniORB] omninames always listens on 0.0.0.0

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Tue Dec 6 16:03:23 GMT 2005

Hi Richard,

You're after the command-line argument "-ignoreport".  Without this
argument, omniNames will insert an extra endpoint "giop:tcp::2809" (or
if you have specified a port on the command line after "-start" then
that port will be used instead of 2809).

This option doesn't have the desired effect after you have run
"omniNames -start" without it (because the IP+port is stored in the
saved object references); you'll need to clear out your omniNames log
and start afresh to enable it.

Regards,
Luke.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 15:30 +1100, Richard Andrews wrote:
> I'm having trouble constraining omniNames (maybe others) to a particular
> interface.
>
> I have the following interfaces:
> lo   127.0.0.1
> eth0 192.168.0.35
> tun0 10.9.8.7
>
> For security reasons I want to constrain all published and listening end
> points to the 10.9.8.7 interface (an openVPN tunnel).
>
> So this is my omniORB.cfg file
>
> ----
>
> serverTransportRule=10.9.8.7 tcp
> serverTransportRule=127.0.0.1 none
> serverTransportRule=192.168.0.35 none
>
> ----
>
> When I start omniNames, it listens on two sockets - but I only want one
> open so the server is not reachable through other interfaces.
>
> ie.
> $ omniNames -logdir path/to/logdir -start 2809
>
> netstat shows it listening on:
>
> 0.0.0.0:2809    0.0.0.0:*
> 10.9.8.7:2809   0.0.0.0:*
>
> catior shows that the object ref contains only 10.9.8.7:2809, but the
> server is still listening on 0.0.0.0. I want it to listen only on
> 10.9.8.7:2809.
>
> If I specify the endPoint on the command line:
> $ omniNames -logdir path/to/logdir -start 2809 -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:10.9.8.7:2809
>
> then omniNames fails to start because (according to strace) it attempts
> to bind first to 0.0.0.0:2809 and then 10.9.8.7:2809 resulting in
> EADDRINUSE on the second socket.
>
> So how do I stop omniNames (and presumably other omniORB servers)
> binding to 0.0.0.0 ?
>
> --
> System info: Fedora 2 i386 | omniORB-4.0.5
>
> --

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.