[omniORB] overview

Alex Tingle alex.tingle at bronermetals.com
Thu Apr 7 15:29:46 BST 2005

Julien,

> Is orb helpful for client application asking a pool of servers to get
> results on specific request.

Do you want to send a single request to ONE server from the pool, or do
you want to send the request to EVERY server in the pool?

If you want just one server to deal with the request, then it sounds
like a load balancing problem. Look at the code for omniMapper (in
omni/src/appl/omniMapper) for an example of how to redirect a request
to another server. You can use this mechanism (LOCATE_FORWARD) to
distribute requests amongst a pool of servers.

If you want every server in the pool to respond, then you probably need
a broadcast mechanism of some kind: you could use the Event Service
(omniEvents).

-Alex Tingle

--
Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer... not a mind reader!