[omniORB] Omni_mutex and static global object

renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com
Wed Sep 15 20:19:14 BST 2004

Alex,

I've hit the problem with Sun's CC compiler, GNU g++ -- though that was in
1998 ... have never even tried to use static initializers since.  One
problem for instance, was the order that g++ initialized and CC initialized
things were completely different, and we couldn't figure out what to do.

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

                      Alex Tingle
                      <alex.omniorb at firetree.net>          To:       omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
                      Sent by:                             cc:
                      omniorb-list-bounces at omniorb-        Subject:  Re: [omniORB] Omni_mutex and static global object
                      support.com

                      09/15/2004 06:23 PM

renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com wrote:
> I agree... static initializers have haunted projects that I've come
> into or been involved with as far back as I can remember.

Modern C++ compilers don't seem to have this problem. I regularly use
GNU/g++, Sun/CC, IBM/xlC, DEC/cxx and HP/aCC and I have never once had
trouble with static initialisers.

Can anyone name a modern C++ compiler that actually exhibits this
problem?

-Alex

--
:: alex tingle
:: 58 kings way, harrow, mddx. uk. HA1 1XU