[omniORB] Building omniORB4.0.4 RPMs on FC2 x86_64

Darren Frith darrenf at acres.com.au
Thu Sep 2 10:55:27 BST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to the list so this may have been covered before. I just wanted
to highlight my experience with building omniORB4.0.4 RPMS on Fedora
Core 2 x86_64.

- Downloaded omniORB4.0.4.tar.gz
- Found omniORB.spec in contrib/RPMs
- su; rpmbuild -ta omniORB4.0.4.tar.gz
Mostly built without too many errors, but stopped in final stage,
complaining about not finding /usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/files,
and /usr/lib64/ library files

(side note: on FC2 x86_64 architectures 64-bit libraries go in
/usr/lib64, while 32-bit libraries stay in /usr/lib. It appears that
these cannot be mixed at link time so putting 64-bit libs in /usr/lib is
a "bad idea")

Tracked the problem down to two things:

(1) Make the following change to omniORB.spec to fix the /usr/lib64
library problem:

< ./configure --prefix=%{prefix} --with-openssl=%{prefix}
---
 > ./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --libdir=%{_libdir}
--with-openssl=%{_prefix}

(2) pythondir and pyexecdir were hard coded to
/usr/lib/python%{pythonver}/site-packages in aclocal.m4. It seems that
this file was created with an older version of aclocal that was less agile.

To remedy:
- remove aclocal.m4, configure
- run aclocal (from automake 1.8)
- run autoconf (ver 2.59)

Having made these changes, re-tar and rebuild, so far so good.

Regards,

--
Darren Frith
Acacia Research Pty Ltd       | Ph  (08) 8345 1801 | acacia at acres.com.au