[omniORB] omniORB, omniMapper and a fire wall

BaileyK at schneider.com BaileyK at schneider.com
Mon Oct 18 21:46:56 BST 2004

Not quite.  OmniMapper will allow all _initial_ connections to come to a
single port.  However, the job of omniMapper is to redirect the client to
another IOR, which necessarily needs to be listening on another port or on
another host.  Only one process can listen on a given port.  If you client
needs to communicate with more than one server process, then omniMapper is
not going to help you.  If your firewall is going to allow access to a
single host/port then you'll need some kind of proxy.  I've prototyped such
a thing using Python pretty easily, but I'm not sure what is available to
solve the problem in general.

Good luck,
Kendall

                      Fred Cook
                      <ftcook at allvantage.com>              To:       omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
                      Sent by:                             cc:
                      omniorb-list-bounces at omniorb-        Subject:  [omniORB] omniORB, omniMapper and a fire wall
                      support.com

                      10/18/2004 07:34 PM

Hi All,

We are about to go on the omniORB through a fire wall adventure.  It
looks like the first step is to get all the iiop traffic through one
port (2809).
Is it correct to assume that one uses omniMapper to get all the ORB
traffic through this one port.  If so how is this done?  When we run
omniMapper we get a

"omniORB:  Error: Unable to create an endpoint of this description:
giop:tcp:2809  Failed to initialize the POA.  Is omniMapper running?".

The answer is no, omniMapper is not running and this message is
generated regardless if a omniMapper.cfg is present or not, whether it
has something correct inside or nothing.

What about the client, JRE 1.4.x (I know, let's not go there).  Will
there be something that needs to be done to it so as to talk to only
port 2809.

Working env:
omniORB 4.0.0, no SSL.  Linux 8.0, Windoze 2K Pro and Solaris 8.  Client
JRE 1.4.x.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

-Fred Cook