(Fwd) Re: [omniORB] Location forward ignored by IBM's ORB

Paul Haesler omniorb at phaesler.org
Sat Jul 31 01:11:04 BST 2004

Oops.  Just realised *I* sent this off-list.

Just in case anyone else is interested....

> Hello Kendall,
> You said you had successfully replaced IBM ORB by JacORB in WebSphere.
> How did you do it?
>
> When I try to prepend the JacORB files to the bootclasspath (in JVM
> advanced settings) for a particular application server, the server fails
> to start and logs an error about missing IBM files. I use WebSphere
> 4.04.

Maybe this was replied to off list?  This is how we did it for
Websphere 3.5:

The problem with using JacORB is caused by certain newer OMG
classes required by JacORB being overidden by older versions,
included with the IBM ORB distribution that is used by WebSphere,
earlier in the class path.  The obvious solution of putting the
JacORB jar at the beginning of the boot classpath does not work
because it then breaks the IBM ORB that WebSphere uses for
communication between the Administration server and the various
web application servers.

The solution to this problem is to modify two build rules in
the JacORB ANT build files and rebuild the distribution.

1) The first change is in the jacorb/src/org/jacorb/build.xml file.
	In this file there is a rule that copies uses one of two
	different implementations of the ValueHandler class real
	and dummy.  When using WebSphere the build copies
	ValueHandler.real to ValueHandler.java.

	Modify this rule so that the build will use ValueHandler.dummy
	instead.

2) The second change that needs to be made is in the
	jacorb/src/org/jacorb/orb/build.xml file.  In this build
	file there is a rule that changes the extended class
	in Remote.template file based on the presence of RMI.
	When using WebSphere the build incorrectly identifies
	RMI and extends the the java.rmi.Remote class.

	Modify the rule so that the build will extends the
	org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl class instead.

Once this is done, do a full rebuild and JacORB should then load
correctly under WebSphere 3.5, and I assume under 4 in a similar
manner.

Good luck.

Paul Haesler.