[omniORB] Long running method invocation

Mike Mascari mascarm at mascari.com
Thu Jul 29 09:02:55 BST 2004

I have a client which invokes a method of a servant which can take a
long time to complete. The servant loops, issuing a sleep() and then
checks for the existence of a file. If the file exists, it transfers
the data to the client. I wrote it this way for omniORB3 before
bi-directional IIOP to allow for use behind firewalls.

On some machines, this works fine. On others, with the same
executable, it doesn't. I've printf'd it to see that the servant
completes the method and returns, but the client never returns from
the remote method invocation, as if it's stuck or a timeout occured
elsewhere that prohibits it from receiving the response.

Neither client nor server use any -ORB option for timeouts.

I was wondering, before I turn up trace levels and log all activity,
if this was a known issue? I'm running 4.0.3 on both client and
server, and running the client under Windows XP, and the server
under Linux 2.4.18.

Thanks for any information,

Mike Mascari