[omniORB] how to use omninames (on linux)

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) jhje at novonordisk.com
Fri Feb 6 22:12:06 GMT 2004

> From: "Matt Ficken" <mattficken at mail.com>
> Subject: [omniORB] how to use omninames (on linux)
>
> I'm using omniORBpy to connect several python client programs
> to my server program.
>
> I'd like to be able to just give my client programs a 'name'
> to connect to rather than have them read an IOR from a file
> and connect to it. Is this what omniNames is for?

Yup.

> How do I setup omniNames?

Here is how my setup is:

Define OMNINAMES_LOGDIR to specify where omniNames should store its log
file:

  export OMNINAMES_LOGDIR=/home/omni

First time you start up omniNames give it the '-start' parameter to
indicate that the log file does not exist yet. Read more in
omniNames.pdf or by running 'omniNames -?'.

  export OMNIORB_CONFIG=/home/omni/corba.cfg

OMNIORB_CONFIG points to the configuration file where you among other
things can specify the location of the name service so you don't have to
give it on the command line each time. A little more detail can be found
in omniORB.pdf chapter 4.1.4.

  [omni at sc9 omni]$ cat corba.cfg
  InitRef = NameService=corbaname::sc9.novo.dk
  [omni at sc9 omni]$

Look in omniORB-4.0.0/src/examples/echo to see how a server registers
with the naming service and how a client uses the naming service to
locate the server. Read more details in chapter 6 of omniORB.pdf.

Hope this helps

-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark