[omniORB] Differing GIOP versions on one connection?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Aug 31 17:06:45 BST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August, "Norrie Quinn" wrote:

> We are attempting to call a JacORB 1.3.30 server from an omniORB4 client.
>
> The JacORB server publishes a profile GIOP 1.1 profile, supports an GIOP 1.1
> request but replies with GIOP 1.0.  Is that something that omniORB should be
> able to handle?

I know you've fixed this by upgrading JacORB, but that is an
interesting question. I think the intention of the GIOP spec is that
the server has to reply with the same GIOP version as the request.
Anything else seems rather odd. However, I can't find anything in the
spec to say that that is required behaviour. It doesn't even say that
the server must not use a later GIOP version for the reply, which
would clearly be a ridiculous thing for it to do. It would be very
unfair to reply with GIOP 1.2 to a GIOP 1.0 request, because the
client might not be able to cope.

I think I'll raise an OMG issue...