[omniORB] omnithread thread-local storage problem

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Apr 5 14:45:44 BST 2004

On Thursday 1 April, Luke Deller wrote:

> Just a follow-up to my last email... I don't believe that omnithread's
> thread-local storage can be implemented as a wrapper around win32
> thread-local storage calls, because win32 does not support destructors
> for thread-local values.

You are correct, and that answers your question about why omnithread
doesn't use the platform's thread specific data mechanism. Rather than
try to maintain support for lots of different per-thread schemes
(i.e. the different pthread drafts, VxWorks, etc.), _and_ implement it
all from scratch for Windows, we decided to implement it just once in
a platform independent way.

It sounds from your original message that you're trying to do memory
allocation with per-thread behaviour. I don't think that's a common
enough requirement to make it worth the potential porting pain of
adding your patch to omnithread to the main distribution.