[omniORB] Cannot switch to background (daemon) on Linux

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Fri Oct 31 12:09:10 GMT 2003

Pánczél Levente wrote:

> My problem by deactivating and reactivating the ORB is that I need the surviving objects to keep their IOR. I do not use the Naming service, because the system already contains channels through which the clients can get to the server's IOR. And this is why I don't want the Container's OIR to be changed by the workaround. Am I right, that shutdown=>ORB_init=>activate_object would result in the object's IOR being changed?

Look up the poa->activate_object_with_id function.. I think this does
what you need.  It allows you to activate an object with an id that you
specify, which should give you a consistent IOR.

> Another Issue: though I still could not try it, but I think deactivate=>activate is not safe, 'cos as I see with 'ps -A' there are two threads belonging to the server even before I have activated any objects; one of the threads is mine, but I think the other must belong to OmniORB.

Any threads created internally by omniORB should be removed when you
shutdown and destroy the ORB.

Regards,
Luke.