[omniORB] Cannot switch to background (daemon) on Linux

G. M. linux_news at nextphere.com
Thu Oct 30 11:44:05 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 06:59, Pánczél Levente wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using OmniORB 4.0.1 on Suse Linux 8.0 (2.4.18-4GB) to see how it fits
> my company's needs. In the server I first start the ORB and then initialize
> my objects (most of then have CORBA interfaces). Then I initiate some
> commands on the command-line I implemented into the server, and everything
> works fine. Then I shut the server down, which also works fine. BUT
> The is a command in the server wich puts it into the background (into
> daemon mode), so it not listed by 'ps' anymore, and so on.

We use OmniORB 3.0.4 on Debian GNU/Linux. We use the following command to keep
a servant running after exiting a shell:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/${component_name}.pid \
                        --make-pidfile --background --exec $component_name --
$extra_options

So maybe, you can use this command or check its implementation for some clues.

Bye,

P. Eng. Gustavo Madrigal
Technology Research Department Manager
Nextphere Corp.