[omniORB] skipping orb->destrory

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Thu Oct 30 03:04:14 GMT 2003

Renzo Tomaselli wrote:
> Hi all,
>     does anybody know about any ill side-effect from skipping orb->destroy
> at application termination time ?

In a previous email to this list:
http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2001-October/019406.html

Duncan writes:

   "It is not necessary to call orb->destroy() -- your OS will clean up
for you."

> While looking for a workaround to the previously discussed shutdown issue, I
> found it by commenting out orb->destroy, before coming up with the true
> solution.
> But funny enough, client applications exit faster this way, I guess because
> of some missing connection-closing handshake. Users appreciate to save a
> couple of seconds each time they quit.

Hmm, I would have thought that no network activity would be performed by
orb->destroy.  It shouldn't do much more than deallocate memory from the
heap.  Perhaps this involves touching a lot of memory and causing a bit
of swapping from disk, which might account for the short delay you notice.

Regards,
Luke.