[omniORB] Initiating orbs in multiple environments.

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Fri Oct 17 12:48:45 BST 2003

Duncan Grisby wrote:

>On Thursday 9 October, "Robert Summerlin" wrote:
>

>>I am attempting to initialize 3 orbs ( which will reside on three
>>separate ,i.e, dev08:2809, dev10:2809, dev11:2809) using the below
>>code segment.  Server names and port combinations are passed from
>>the arrayList.  My code is compiling successfully however during
>>run-time only the first orb is working properly.
>>

>The problem you have is that the ORB is a singleton, so you can't
>initialise more than one. That's why you can only contact your first
>object. The correct thing to do is to initialise a single ORB without
>bothering to configure a name service. Then, give the three name
>service references as corbaname URIs to orb->string_to_object.
>
>Aside from that, it is usual to run just one naming service, and have
>all your servers register themselves in that.

Has anyone considered making  enhancements to the orb->string_to_object
function to use DNS SRV (RFC 2782:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2782.html) to locate a list of naming
services.  Then one need only supply a single (sub)domain name in a
corbaloc or corbaname URI, and all SRV RR entries for _corbaloc._tcp
will be tried until the URI is successfully resolved.  This allows for
multiple naming services for redundancy and load balancing, use of
alternate port numbers for the corbaloc service, and centralized
administration.

This seems like an ideal way to get the redundancy needed in enterprise
environments for the name service, which is a key infrastructure item.

The next problem to solve would be how to replicate the data among the
servers, but I think that redundancy is the first problem to tackle.

-Rob