[omniORB] Re: Newbie having win32 installation problems

Maks Verver m.verver at student.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 15 13:25:51 BST 2003

Hi Michael,

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 10:42, Michael Kenniston wrote:
> I'm trying to get ActivePython to work with omniORB, and I'm having
> a lot of trouble getting the installation to work right.  Although I have
> some CORBA experience, I'm a complete novice with Python.
>
> We have installed ActivePython 2.2.2 so that part seems to work fine.
> However, when I install omniORB and try to compile an idl file, I get
> the following:
>
> =======
> C:\Courses\AY2004-Autumn-DS520\pythoneg1>omniidl -bpython example_echo.idl
> omniidl: Could not import back-end 'python'
> omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
> omniidl: (The error was 'No module named python')

I believe I experienced the same problem initially. I am currently not working
with Windows, so I can't check, but if I recall correctly the issue was that
omniPy and omniORB come with different versions of omniidl and only the
omniPy version includes the Python back-end. If you put the relevant
subdirectories of both omniORB and omniPy in your path, in that order, the
omniidl version from the omniORB distribution will be selected (because it
occurs first in your path).

I believe I solved the problem by placing the omniPy subdirectories BEFORE the
omniORB subdirectories in the PATH (and possible PYTHONPATH) environmental
variable.

Kind regards,
Maks Verver.