[omniORB] Complex numbers

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Fri Oct 10 02:52:29 BST 2003

scott.rediger at teradyne.com wrote:

>When I say xlate() function, I mean a simple field-by-field translation:
>
>      void xlate_complex( complex& out, const IDLMODULE::Complex& in );
>
>This function simply copies (field-by-field) values from the in parameter
>to the out parameter.
>
>As for runtime overhead, it is obviously more than the pointer manipulation
>you stated earlier. If you're processing huge amounts of complex numbers,
>then yes, you will definately notice a difference using translation
>functions.

Will it really be noticable?  I would have thought that the cost of a
simple memory copy would be dwarfed by the cost of sending these complex
numbers through a socket, even for a tcp loopback or unix socket that
doesn't generate real network traffic.  Perhaps you might notice a
difference if the method invocations are within the same process, but
even then the complex numbers are being copied a few times already (for
marshalling / unmarshalling), right?

Luke.