[omniORB] Client hangs for some time between LocateRequest calls

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Oct 6 17:41:23 BST 2003

On Wednesday 1 October, Serguei Kolos wrote:

> Below is the part of the output produced by the listing application with
> traceLevel=50.
> Does anybody have a clue to this issue?

[...]
> omniORB: LocateRequest to remote:
> root/POA[ipc/test][ipc_test_object_0]<ipc.test.object.170>
>

> ///////////// 2 - 3 seconds delay: nothing is happening
>

> omniORB: throw giopStream::CommFailure from
> giopStream.cc:1061(0,NO,TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed)

I suspect that it's just that whatever machine it's trying to connect
to is taking a few seconds to respond with a connection failure.
Coincidentally, I checked in a change a while ago that prints out the
address it's trying to connect to, so if you update from CVS, you'll
see extra logging telling you which server it's trying to connect to
when it takes a long time. Alternatively, print out the stringified
IOR of each object reference before you try to call it, and decode the
output with catior.

Once you know what it's trying to connect to, you can try connecting
to the host / port with telnet. I suspect it will take a few seconds
before you get a connection denied.

If that isn't the issue, I can only guess that it's the OS taking time
to clear up the remains of all the failed connections.