[omniORB] Connection timeout

Daniel Pirkl pirkl at eldis.cz
Wed Jul 30 14:38:36 BST 2003

Hallo everybody,

I have a problem. I have an interface

interface Device
{
	void DoSomethingOneSecond(void);
	void DoSomethingTenMinutes(void);
};

The called object is located on another computer in the network. If the
called object is not available - for examle somebody cut the line during
call of some method, I need to know it after a short timeout (e.g. 10
seconds). I can't use clientCallTimeOutPeriod because of
DoSomethingTenMinutes method.

My tryed to add thread per tcpConnection object. This thread sends icmp
packets to destination computer, listens answers and in case of timeout
calls tcpConnection::Shutdown. It's seems working. But I would like to
know, if there is some standart way of resolving this problem.

Thanks

Daniel