[omniORB] _WIN32_WINNT=0x400

Clarke Brunt clarke at lsl.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 13:03:43 BST 2003

The README.win32 file for omniORB 4.0.1 says to define the preprocessor
macro _WIN32_WINNT=0x400 (among others) for building programs on Win32.

As far as I can see, this macro doesn't occur in the omniORB source code,
other than in dir.mak for various example programs. It _does_ however occur
in various Windows header files.

Setting this macro _isn't_ mentioned in the omniORB html documentation.

I have previously encountered this macro when writing code to take advantage
of the Win32 API function SignalObjectAndWait - the purpose of the macro is
to cause the Windows headers to include definitions of various functions
which aren't present in earlier versions of Windows, the use of which will
prevent the program from running on these earlier versions.

I wonder what the intention is in omniORB? Is it really used for anything?
If so, then the documentation needs updating to agree with the README.win32.

--
Clarke Brunt