[omniORB] Interface to DOTNET/DotGNU

Lars von Wedel vonwedel@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Feb 25 12:19:00 2003

Hello James, hello omniORBers,

 > I am just starting my research, a couple of months ago, I had an
 > interesting chat with Miguel Icaza (from MONO). He wanted to write an
 > orb in C#.

Obviously, implementing the ORB directly as part of managed code would be
the preferred solution (at least at a first glance). From a short-term view,
the SOAP bridge might have been an option, just didn't know what you wanted
to achieve.

 > Personally, I am too lazy to try and do this, I would however be
 > interested in embedding the pnet (www.dotgnu.org) engine as a corba
 > server, that means wrapping it in a corba layer and allowing it to
 > handle requests.
I've looked a couple of hours into the serialization and remoting stuff
offered by .net and I'm somewhat involved in COM and unmanaged C interop
features of the CLR.  To this end, I'm impressed, how many technical details
are taken care of by the CLR, e.g. by the CCW/RCS implementation.

I'd also be interested to know, how CORBA client/server communications would
be best integrated into a managed environment and especially, how metadata
access could ease CORBA development...

Lars