[omniORB] omniNames (and maybe GIOPServer in general) Problem on FreeBSD 5

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Dec 15 12:58:00 GMT 2003

On Saturday 13 December, omniorb at bindone.de wrote:

> I found a bug (or kind a misbehaviour) using omniNames under FreeBSD
> 5.2RC.  omniNames didn't respond to "nameclt list" (it did if there
> were NO entries).  The trace showed that omninames was binding to an
> senseless IP Address (254 something) which were never used in the
> system.
>
> It seems that this was caused by an uninitialized interface (fire wire fwe0,
> the first one shown bei ifconfig) which had no IP address. While listening
> to all interfaces, it replied this address to the client, resulting in the
> client to contact this address (and timing out).

omniORB uses an ioctl() call to query the OS about all its IP
addresses. By default it picks the first one from the list. There's
not much it can do if the OS reports a bogus address as the first
one. If you give an endPoint option in the configuration file or on
the command line, it will use that address in preference.