[omniORB] constructing an IOR

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Dec 15 12:51:04 GMT 2003

On Friday 5 December, Cameron Rochester wrote:

> I am just wondering if it is possible to construct an IOR (object reference)
> on a client machine to communicate with an Object on a server. The server is
> activating the with an ID that is comprised of a Database key.

[...]
> The bit that I am unsure about is what makes up the object_key section of
> the IOR and if there is easy way I can create it..

The object key is proprietary and private to omniORB. It's formed from
the names of the POA hierarchy and the object id. You can look in the
POA implementation to see how it is formatted. If you use that
information, beware that it may change in a later omniORB version.

Why don't you want to use the omniINSPOA?  It's designed for exactly
this situation.