[omniORB] Cannot run the examples

grlind at rockwellcollins.com grlind at rockwellcollins.com
Fri Dec 12 10:56:21 GMT 2003

I am really new user of Linux so I am not sure that I have followed all the
correct procedures in installing the omniorb...

I have it install on Linux Redhat version 9 running on a Hp laptop. Other
than installing Redhat this is basically my understanding of installing
software on Linux systems.

Here is what I did... I copied the software to a temp directory and then

I unzipped the software and installed in the my home directory at  =
file:/home/gregg/omniorb

Next I did the configure by changing to the directory
file:/home/gregg/omniorb

./configure

then I did the

./make       from the omniorb directory file:/home/gregg/omniorb

I then went to the file:/home/gregg/omniorb/src/examples/echo to test the
examples.

./make all

I then try to run the programs such as .eg1 and I get the following error.

./eg1

./eg1: error while loading shared libraries: libomniORB4.so.o cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory

Since I am really new to this I looked over the info on the forum and tried
to find clues as to what I am doing wrong

I tried to modify my bashrc file to include the following statement

export LD_LIBRARY_path="../omniorb/lib/"        Not sure if this the
correct path to add?

then execute the bash again and restarted the laptop also not sure how or
when the bashrc file is run?

I also notice that there is a comment to modify the config.mk file in the

I edited the file in file:/home/gregg/omniorb/config/config.mk

I took out the # statement on the following lines in this file.

i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1
platform=i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1

then from this directory I tried to do the "make all" this gave me an error
message that said no rule to make target "all" so I am not sure where this
make is to run from? Or did I even have to edit this file at all should it
configure itself when I ran the configure above?

Not sure if I have to re-run any of the configuration or makes based on do
this out of order or something...

Any help appreciated

Gregg Lind