[omniORB] Running omniNames as a non-priviledged user?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Sat Dec 6 13:08:56 GMT 2003

I'm made use of the "omniNames" init script to allow the name service to
be started up when the system boots. With "omniNames" started this way
though it runs as a process owned by root. I'm always looking at
whether or not a process really needs to be owned by root and so is
there any reason that I can't run the CORBA name service as a non-root
user? I have the name server listening on a non-priviledged port of
2809 so a non-root owned process could open that port as well.

I think to do this I'd need to make few tweaks to the init script to
make sure the /var/omniNames and /var/lib/omniMapper directories are
already created and owned by the non-root userid I want to own the
"omniNames" process. Also I don't know if I can save off the PID into a
file in /var/run. I was going to try and use "su -c ..." to run
omniNames as a non-priviledge user.

Thanks,

Tony

--