[omniORB] [omniNames]

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Sep 24 07:16:01 2002

On Tuesday 24 September, Bruno PATIN wrote:

> To use this value for supportBootstrapAgent made the interoperability
> between omniORB304 an ominORB4. what I can't understand, is that my
> client is written in C++ so it's it that use what you name the INIT
> mechanism ?? no ?
>
> To go on this track, where can I get information on this INIT mechanism
> ? how to make the tnameserv equal in behavior with omniORBXXX ? Last, by
> default omniNames in 304 version do use this mechanism and not in 4
> version ? is that right ? what to do on the client side to avoid this
> sort of problems ?

The INIT mechanism was first used by Sun's NEO ORB, and was used in
the Java ORB up to JDK 1.3. omniORB 2 used it as its default bootstrap
mechanism. It was already obsolete in omniORB 3. Your omniORB 3 client
is using it because you have used the obsolete ORBInitialHost /
ORBInitialPort configuration mechanism, rather than the current
interoperable naming service, with a corbaname URI.

If you change your omniORB 3 config file (or Windows registry) to say

  ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::my.host.name

(putting in the right host name), it won't use the obsolete INIT
mechanism any more.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --