[omniORB] FW: Problem w/ Client/Server Communication Across L AN With Client /Server NameServices

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Oct 16 22:38:00 2002

On Wednesday 16 October, "Smith, Wayne" wrote:

> OK I'm running 2.8 on Solaris 2.5.1. I start omniNames from an rc script as
> follows:
>
> 	$OMNI_HOME/bin/omniNames -start 1234 -logdir $OMNI_LOG
> >$OMNI_LOG/omniNames.log 2>&1 &

You should not use -start every time. To do that, you have to delete
the omniNames log file, and it's the log file that tells omniNames how
to reuse the same IOR.

> The difference between the IOR in the omniNames.log file and the one
> produced with:
>
>             genior IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0 serverhost port#
> NameService

omniORB 2.8 predates the interoperable naming service by a long time,
so it does not use the object key "NameService" for its root naming
context.

Unless you have an extremely good reason, you ought to update to
omniORB 4.0.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --