[omniORB] Thread-safety of Any with local calls

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Oct 8 21:11:01 2002

On Friday 4 October, Chris Newbold wrote:

> But it looks like both value() and marshaling/extraction (via
> tcParser::copyTo) call rewind_in_mkr() on the underlying bufferedStream.
> Isn't this going to cause problems?

Ah, I see that it does in omniORB 3. It no longer rewinds the stream
in omniORB 4. In both cases, once you've got hold of the pointer to
the underlying buffer, it gets wrapped into a new stream object that
has its own set of pointers, so read access doesn't conflict with any
other threads that have also created a new Any this way.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --