[omniORB] Python Embedded

Leandro Fanzone leandro@hasar.com
Thu Nov 14 15:22:01 2002

I'm currently migrating from CorbaScript to Python, mainly due to the
fact that CorbaScript doesn't compile anymore under omni 4.0, and even
though I could work out the necessary changes, the CorbaScript project
seems rather dead by now.
CorbaScript has no means to be embedded inside a C++ program, and many
of my scriptable applications ended having a separate CorbaScript server
communicated with the C++ application through CORBA. Taking advantage of
the Python capabilities, I thought that I might as well migrate those
servers to an embedded Python script. Given that I already have the IDLs
written to those scripts, I think it would be a good idea to write an
omniidl backend to generate C++ stubs to the embedded scripts, hiding
all the ugly details of the variable conversions et al, and keeping the
IDL interfaces as a cleaner way to connect C++ with Python. Perhaps this
was already done, and if not, I can donate the code in case someone may
find it useful.
Do you know of something similar already written?
Thank you,

Leandro Fanzone.