[omniORB] omniNames

William H Jones enjones@lerc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 5 20:54:01 2002

Warren,

  Having never examined the omniNames code or read the naming
service standard...

  Each naming context consists of an instance that, principally,
contains 0 to n references to other instances.  You are provided
methods to get at those references.  Those references can be
either to the CORBA object you have bound to the naming context,
or to another naming context instance, in which case you can look
through the instance references it has.

  The resolve method does this for you iteratively.  It starts
at the root (or probably, at the instance presenting the resolve
method), picks off the first element of the name you supply, and
tries to identify the next CORBA instance based on that name.  If
the identified instance is another naming context, it continues
the process and navigates on.  Presuming that the naming contexts
continue to match the supplied name and all other expectations are
met, it continues on until it exhausts the supplied name.  At that
point it stops and, apparently, gives you some reference, even if
there is more than one to choose from.  It would appear from the
results you've gotten that omniNames has organized references within
a context with a hash table, rather than sorting them alphabetically,
which is why your example comes out with pop-mail-01 instead of
mid-mail-01.

  There is actually functionality to allow you to do this traversal
yourself rather than rely upon the resolve name-iteration process.
This can be useful when you have other traversal strategies that
you want to pursue.  For example, see

  http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/price000/pfc/htc/gfcbindginterfaceinfo.html

(if I typed the URL right) where I invoke functionality to first
traverse up the naming context tree by name as long as the names
match, and then shift over to random selection until I get
to the desired instance kind.  This gives me some sense of
client/server co-locality while it lasts, and then assures that
I continue on until I finally do get to the expected instance kind.

Or maybe it is all completely different....

Hope this helps,

Bill

--

Dr. William H. Jones
MS 5-11

216 433 5862
Preferred:  William.H.Jones@grc.nasa.gov
Hard code:  enjones@witsend.grc.nasa.gov
Personal:   whjones@apk.net

Project Integration Architecture:
  http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/price000/index.html

No man is so fortunate but that, at the hour of his doom,
he will not have at least a few about him who are pleased
with the proceedings.
    -- Marcus Aurelius