[omniORB] string_dup() behavior

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB@RJRT.com
Sat Jul 13 00:35:01 2002

------=_NextPartTM-000-e4004edf-1d6f-498c-a497-d0ef26a2968d

> Can I resolve the problem another way by compiling and=20
> linking my executable with the same runtime
> used by the omni DLL? Wouldn't that be as simple as building=20
> them with the same compiler options?

Yes.  See my earlier post.

In fact, this isn't limited to strings.  You will continue
to have problems as long as you continue to use switches
that are incompatable with multithreading and DLLs.

> Has anybody run into this problem before?

Yes.

> I would be amazed=20
> to be the only one using omniORB3 on
> Windows.

No, you are not the only one using omniORB3 on Windows. This is
a FAQ. If you go back far enough you will find this problem discussed
repeatedly in one form or another.  Unfortunately, I cannot find it
listed in the official FAQ.  (No flame is intended towards the poster.)

OTOH, I'm not sure this is really an omniORB specific problem.

The real problem is that the default setting of single threaded,
static library that the Microsoft compiler wants you to use is
completely broken and totally useless.

HTH,

Bruce

------=_NextPartTM-000-e4004edf-1d6f-498c-a497-d0ef26a2968d

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

------=_NextPartTM-000-e4004edf-1d6f-498c-a497-d0ef26a2968d--