[omniORB] type Any

Luke Deller ldeller@xplantechnology.com
Thu Jul 11 08:09:01 2002

Hi Christophe,

Since nobody has yet jumped in with an answer, let me throw in an idea...

 > The problem occur when we have a string in one the any. If the client is
 > omniORB or JavaORB, everything works perfectly. But if its visibroker, we
 > cannot extract the string from a Any.

I seem to recall that when you assign a string to a Delphi "Variant" type,
it is implicitly converted to a wide string.  Is this true?

If so, then your "any" probably contains a CORBA "wstring" rather than a
"string", which would explain the behaviour that you see.  Unfortunately
OmniORB3 does not support wide strings (but they are supported in OmniORB4).
   Maybe you can find a way to tweak VisiBroker to send a "string" instead.

Regards,
Luke.