[omniORB] crosscompiling omniorb 3 for embedded linux ppc405 - recipe and problem

David Byron dbyron@coactive.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:27:28 -0800

> Thanks!  He's updated his page with the result; in short, it says
>     / # ./eg2_impl  -ORBtraceLevel 40
>     omniORB: strand Ripper: start.
>     omniORB: scavenger : start.
>     omniORB: gateKeeper is tcpwrapGK 1.0 - based on tcp_wrappers_7.6
>     omniORB configuration file: /etc/omniORB.cfg either does not exist or is not a file.
>     omniORB: The omniDynamic library is not linked.
>     omniORB: Initialising incoming rope factories.
>     omniORB: throw INITIALIZE from objectAdapter.cc:182
>     Caught CORBA::SystemException.
>
> Hmm, does that mean I have to set the OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME_VAR
> environment variable, or something?
> Suggestions welcome (I *do* plan to get the debugger working
> sometime on this platform, honest!)

I've also got the ORB building in a cross environment.  The crux of the matter was defining HOSTTOOL=yes in the GNUmakefile's for tools that run on the host, and then including either the correct platform file (either host or target) in config.mk.  Along the way, I ran into the same problems you are having.  I had the gatekeeper disabled, but that's not your current problem, and probably won't be a problem at all.

I would try getting eg1 working first, and only then worry about eg2.  These are the steps I followed to get things working.  Basically, once you can do a

$ ping <hostname>

to ping yourself, and it works, eg1 and eg2 should work.

1. Assign a hostname using the hostname command like this:

$ hostname <hostname>

2. Make sure there is an entry in /etc/hosts for <hostname>

3. Make sure the loopback interface exists and is running.  Check this by running ifconfig

If the loopback interface either doesn't exist, or isn't running, do this:

# ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up

>From here, ping <hostname> should work.

Good luck.

-DB
---
David Byron                     dbyron@coactive.com
Coactive Networks, Inc.         http://www.coactive.com
28 Liberty Ship Way             voice:(415)289-7800
Sausalito, CA  94965            fax:(415)289-1320