[omniORB] omniORB4 Initialisation warning message

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:32:50 +0000

On Thursday 3 January, "David Bellette" wrote:

> When calling :
> mOrb = CORBA::ORB_init(pArgc, pArgv, "omniORB4");
>
> I get the following message printed to my console window :
> omniORB: Warning: WSAIoctl SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_QUERY failed. Unable to
> obtain the list of all interface addresses.
>
> Everything seems to be working fine.
>
> Is this something I should be concerned about?

Several people have reported getting this message, but I've not seen
it myself. The code that fails is trying to get a list of all the
machine's network interfaces, so it can properly support machines with
more than one interface. I don't know why it's failing. What version
of Windows are you using?

The error isn't anything to worry about too much, since if the call
fails omniORB just uses the first network interface, just like omniORB
3 always did. When omniORB 4 is released, the warning will be
suppressed.

> If not, can I suppress this message, and how?

Edit the (strangely indented) code at
src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/tcp/tcpTransportImpl.cc, line 305 to say

  if ( omniORB::trace(5) )

instead of trace(1). That will suppress the message unless you use
ORBtraceLevel >= 5.