[omniORB] Re: omniORB 3.0.4 on debian, name service runs on port 8088

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:46:38 +0000

On Thursday 3 January, "Bang, Steinar" wrote:

> Errrm... that email slipped away before it was finished.
> Sorry!

[...]
> > The /etc/omniORB.cfg file initially looked like this:
> > 	ORBInitialHost no-video2.oslo.tandbergtv.lan
> > 	ORBInitialPort 8088

That is a very obsolete way of specifying the initial references. The
Debian packages shouldn't use that.

> > I changed it to
> > 	ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::localhost

That's the right thing to do if you always want to contact the naming
service on your local machine. It might be better to specify a full
host name.

[...]
> But according to lsof -i, the naming service was still
> running on port 8088.  The only effect I got from
> changing the omniORB.cfg file, was that my C++ clients
> could no longer contact the naming service. :-)

omniNames keeps a log file, so each time it starts it uses the same
port as before (and all the name bindings). You need to discover where
Debian has chosen to put its omniNames log, and delete it. Then, one
time only, run omniNames -start. That will create a new log file using
the default port of 2809. After that, whenever omniNames starts up it
will be on port 2809.

It would be helpful if you could contact whoever maintains the Debian
package, and ask them to fix it.